September 10, 2014
Having been born in a much later time period, I am fascinated by the past. Some are a little closer in time such as the 40-60's in the south where little leaning sideways tin or wood buildings down dirt tracks served as hot entertainment spots. There may have been cracks in the walls and drip pans to catch the rain, but that didn't stop people from dressing up in their finest apparel and make the journey to dance and drink their cares away and maybe even find love.Every once in a while on my drives, I come across one of these....still in use! Of course in my mind it always seems glamorous in a rustic sort of way...but I've been told from those who actually frequented, owned, played in such joints that there was a less  pleasant side to it all too.
So today I've explored both sides of a typical night. I've actually made an attempt at this twice before. It is a photo of some distant relatives and no one seems to remember their names. I've taken poetic licence with the black eye. I imagined a little hooch, a pretty girl, a little Otis Redding playing in the background may have lead to a not so little brawl with a happy ending for the couple.

In the End He Won The Girl
Oil on Canvas
by Rachel Jones


I have yet to discover an angle where I can photograph freshly painted oils without getting this glare. Any idea from our daily posting painters?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Painting’s Story.