Once I was home and digested most of the information, I began again in my own space.  My music, my chair... just a very familiar atmosphere. There is much to said for your own studio space even if it is just a kitchen table. I definitely felt less pressure and no need to compare myself to those around me. It was now time to see what I could do on my own and if I actually learned anything at all. I continued to paint at a much slower pace than I had seen the others. One of the keys to this is working quickly once the set up is done. But, that didn't seem to come naturally. After a few sheets made it into the fire, I decided to work at my own pace. Walk before running. It isn't as if I am in a race. So once that was taken on the chin these are the two pieces I created for the day.

watercolor
by Rachel Jones
 They both still need a little work, but I could see progress and therefore did not waste a week of excellent instruction. I really want to go in with inks and define the feather in the girl's hair and add a little more drama to the top painting. I am so used to adding drips and splashes and having much darker paintings that this was just as much an exercise in holding back as it was practicing a new technique. After all, the majority of people wanting portraits want to see themselves more this way (soft and delicate) than what may appear to be in my renditions of individuals teetering on some edge.
watercolor
by Rachel Jones

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Painting’s Story.