I usually have several projects going on at once. It often creates harmony if I am working on a body of work. It is also useful when I do not want to get too rigid. I know it is often considered the norm for artists represented by prominent galleries to consistently create work that is very similar in style. It makes them easier to market. However, I am not in that position. As a small studio working artist I am able to experiment and expand a bit more as I continue to learn. I am interested in several avenues of creation. I like watercolor. I like oil. I like charcoal. I like building. I like clay. I wholly believe I have a recognizable style which carries onto each endeavor. However, I feel each turn informs, influences, expands the other. One may think that a medium is to be handled a certain way. Though there is nothing wrong with that, I find that if I treat charcoal like oil in certain ways, the results can be pleasantly surprising. With this piece I just finished (pictured below) I experimented more with the traditional watercolors. I felt joy and excitement as it went from the 'what on earth am I doing?" to the "Ooooh, that's a bit interesting" stages.
In March, Waterway Art Association will be hosting a workshop where I will expand on the floral still life. I hope to share some ideas, my thought process, a few poetic words and a listening ear. In the meantime, feel free to tune in here to keep up with my latest endeavors. And if you like,  tell a friend
Thanks. -rachel



DEEP ROOTS  by Rachel Jones

Watercolor and Silver on Arches Paper
12in X 12in
(available)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Painting’s Story.