Kindred of Nature Part II

 


Beetle Detail by R.Jones 

It was a slower process than expected (due to life in general) but I finally finished the oil painting that corresponded to the preliminary watercolor I painted in my sketch book!  ðŸ˜ƒ Yay, Me!!! 

I wrote about this in a previous post and made a short YouTube video about it. 

The idea was that this process helps with making better ‘master’ paintings. Though I have done similar sketches before, it is not the norm and they are usually more linear sketches than a more detailed finished work. Below is the first study.  

Kindred Of Nature study by Rachel Jones

Making a study beforehand helps to solidify ideas, work out problems such as composition, figure out the color palette, and so forth. Personally (once I get over the fear of the white canvas) I look forward to the natural progression of a painting. Though there is always a plan, there is a certain ‘magic’ that happens when one ignores the references and just paints. I didn’t allow this ‘study’ process to remove that element. I stuck with it in the very beginning since it really did help in the set up, composition, and structure. At some point around the halfway mark I began to veer off. As you can see, I think the ‘feeling’ of it began to evolve. There was a definite mood shift. And because of my love of floriography, I thought eucalyptus and baby’s breath added to the vision I had for the newer piece.  The gold leaf was also an addition that harmonized with other works of mine. In the end, I will continue to use this process more often for 2 particular reasons. 

1. This would be an excellent tool when it comes to commissions. 

2. Since I don’t currently offer prints, it offers an affordable option for those who aren’t after a larger or more expensive piece. 

Kindred of Nature
Oil and Gold Leaf on 10” X 10” birch panel
By Rachel Jones

The second edition will be available soon, but the Kindred of Nature study is available Now in the From The Studio Page of this site. Also, enjoy the very short progress video on YouTube .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Painting’s Story.