Workshop

I’m a real believer that anyone can paint. Even those who say they can’t draw a stick figure. As kids we scribbled with broken  crayons creating worlds from our imaginations without inhibitions. At some point we decided (or someone informed us)  we didn’t know what we were doing… and we put our instruments down. 

Once, I taught an ‘After Hours’ class (years before the Paint and Sips) where a person with a high stress white collar job came and left with a piece of work he created and was proud of after saying, ‘I can’t paint”. 

Often changing our ideas of what a “successful” painting is or isn’t is the key. When I was asked by Myrtle Beach Art Museum to participate in the traveling Frida Kahlo exhibit by teaching a portrait workshop, how could I say No. She was  a queen of self-portraiture.

Many have expressed in various ways that Frida may not have been  ‘the best painter, but was a great storyteller.’

My goal was to have each person well armed with a tool to be able to accurately tell their own personal story by reflecting their mood, insight, atmosphere… through loose linear drawings. 

Everyone is capable  of telling their story. 

Below are some examples I created along with the “remix” versions.


ENJOY.

By Rachel Jones and Art 



Line Drawings by Rachel Jones and Art






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Painting’s Story.